It is well established that high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) is a powerful and prolific technology used for many applications in fields ranging from: analytical chemistry, biochemistry, food science, forensics, materials chemistry, biotechnology, pharmaceutical research, and many more.
It is the robustness of the HPLC principle and applications that have led to significant advancements in technology, instrumentation, and manufacturers in recent years. We’ve taken a moment to summarize major HPLC instrument manufacturers and to detail features and benefits of popular systems.
These instrument summaries are listed in no particular order which otherwise would constitute a rank or preference. Rather, this list is meant as a simple guide to assist in identifying options in the field. Ultra high performance chromatography (UHPLC) instrument profiles are the focus of an accompanying article.
Alliance HPLC Systems
Waters’ Flagship HPLC technology – the Alliance HPLC systems - are time-tested and trusted solutions for a wide range of workhorse applications.
- The solvent delivery system features quaternary blending with a fixed delay volume for consistent and predictable results, regardless of system back pressure.
- Integrated solvent and sample management systems ensure reliability and reproducibility day-in and day-out.
- Detection confidence can be enhanced by including the Acquity QDa Detector, an easy to use photodiode array detector that can be easily integrated into the workflow.
- Empower 3 software combines UV/Vis and MS data to provide more precise mass information from peak data.
- The system is compatible with third party software and data management systems as well as columns and separation matrices.
- Further technical details of features and benefits cam be found here.
The Alliance platform has a history of consistent updates and improvements ensuring the highest performance is achieved no matter the application.
- Determination of food sugars and food quality.
- Analysis of drug formulations and natural products.
- Performance of material separations according to standardized guidelines.
- Isolation of chemical and biochemical compounds such as: pesticides, organic acids and bases, neurotransmitters, peptides, nucleobases, and many others.
The Shimadzu Prominence HPLC achieve exceptional levels of performance, reliability, and economy. Prominence HPLC covers a wide variety of flow rates and is expandable to support a diverse range of applications:
- Multiple solvent delivery options, a broad range of flows, and isocratic or gradient elution.
- Numerous detector options to cover a range of sample chemistries.
- Expandable valving options from simple to complex flow paths.
- Covering a broad range of analyses from analytical to semi-preparative, reversed phase, normal phase, Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) and Ion Chromatography (IC).
The Prominence HPLC is well suited for applications including:
- Food testing of components, additives, residual pesticides, and frangrances.
- Environmental testing: atmosphere, drinking water, soil quality, and biofuels.
- Chemical industry testing: plastics, solvents, paints, fiber and paper.
- Pharmaceutical testing: drug ingredients, antibiotics and antimicrobials, natural medicines and products, veterinary pharmaceuticals.
iSeries Integrated HPLC Systems
The Shimadzu iSeries systems provide the ultimate balance of high-level performance and ease-of-use in an integrated HPLC. The i-Series instruments have a touch-screen LCD display for easy, intuitive system control and chromatogram viewing, built-in degassing, quaternary solvent delivery, autosampler and UV or PDA detector. Sample injections are the fastest around (< 14 seconds), with ultra-low carryover.
- Increased Column Oven Capacity – Store up to three 300mm LC columns.
- Optional Column Switching – Choose the analysis flow path with convenient software control.
- Sample Pretreatment – Automate sample dilution and reagent/internal standard addition.
- Optional Add-on Detectors – Add a refractive index or fluorescence detector.
- Enhanced Quantitative Performance – Achieve wider linear range and repeatability for the smallest injected volumes of 1 µL or less.
1220 Infinity II
The 1220 Infinity II LC is an integrated system for routine HPLC and UHPLC analysis in analytical and QA/QC labs. Based on the proven technology of the InfinityLab LC Series, the system's high quality and high performance help users achieve maximum return on investment and lowest cost of ownership. Users can choose from four affordable, "all-in-one" configurations while upgrade paths allow increased system capability as needs change. The walk-up upgrade and software convert the 1220 Infinity II LC into the perfect LC or LC/MS workhorse for a multi-user environment. Almost any InfinityLab LC Series module can be connected to provide maximum flexibility.
- Optimized for everyday productivity - exceptional accuracy and superior precision for all routine applications.
- Fully compliant with all requirements for regulatory LC applications.
- Fast, trouble-free startup - every system is tested in its final configuration.
- Flexibility - hardware choices and all-in-one configurations include an isocratic or gradient pump, manual injector or vial autosampler, column oven and variable wavelength detector.
- Future proof - upgrade the system with additional hardware modules such as an InfinityLab LC Series refractive index, fluorescence or evaporative light scattering detector, or a 6000 Series single quadrupole MS.
- Higher resolution and faster run times - an optimized pump delivers up to 600 bar to support smaller particle size columns.
- Lower detection limits using a variable wavelength detector up to 80 Hz.
- Maintain stable temperatures with the optional column oven.
- High performance software – choice of either OpenLAB CDS EZChrom Edition or the fully flexible, multi-purpose OpenLAB CDS ChemStation Edition.
1260 Infinity II
The 1260 Infinity II LC offers the widest choice of modules for analytical HPLC and UHPLC. Reliable instrumentation combines with latest column technologies and advanced supplies to guarantee robust separation and detection performance. Easy column handling and superior sample logistics, from sample submission to data analysis, ensure fast turnaround times and highest instrument utilization. Seamless method transfer and stepwise upgrade paths facilitate risk-free integration in current infrastructure, for non-disruptive transition to highest performance within budget confines.
- Compatible with conventional and ultrahigh performance LC – with an operating pressure of up to 600 bar, the 1260 Infinity II Quaternary Pump and the 1260 Infinity Binary Pump are a perfect match for Poroshell 120 columns.
- Analytical and semi-preparative purifications - the wide flow range of the 1260 Infinity II Quaternary Pump (up to 10 mL/min) perfectly supports standard and semi-preparative applications.
- Fast and precise gradients – the 1260 Infinity II Binary Pump is the perfect choice for fast and precise gradients using LC/MS, as well as UV-only systems.
- Ultralow carryover – the multiwash capability of the 1260 Infinity II Multisampler cleans all relevant injection parts between runs. This sophisticated, integrated feature flushes the injection needle outside with three solvents, and uses seat backflush procedures to reduce carryover to less than 10 ppm.
- Reduced cycle times – with Agilent’s unique dual-needle design, which allows the user to run samples alternately through one or the other injection path. Cycle times can be reduced to mere seconds, virtually eliminating conventional wait times – whether for large volume loadings or flushing procedures.
- Efficient sample handling and logistics – using shallow well-plate drawers, the 1260 Infinity II Multisampler takes a maximum load of 16 microtiter plates and up to 6,144 samples – the most of any single system.
- Efficient column handling and temperature control – the 1260 Infinity II Multicolumn Thermostat holds up to four columns with direct access to each column through a Quick-Change switching valve, delivering flexibility and eliminating the need to disconnect and reconnect columns.
- Fast and easy connections – with InfinityLab Quick-Connect fittings to save time and trouble.
- Higher quality data – the 1260 Infinity II Diode Array Detector HS delivers lower detection limits and higher data quality for more confidence.
- Efficient control, acquisition and reporting – Agilent’s Instrument Control Framework (ICF) enables smooth control of Agilent LC instrumentation through third-party chromatography data systems.
1290 Infinity II
The Agilent 1290 Infinity II LC System embodies the next generation of UHPLC—with the exceptional reliability and robustness expected from Agilent, plus breakthrough technologies to maximize efficiency.
The 1290 Infinity II LC delivers unmatched separation and detection performance for ultimate confidence in results. Highest sample capacity and fastest injection cycles help to achieve the highest throughput for any application. Seamless integration into current laboratory infrastructure and smooth method transfer from legacy equipment facilitates non-disruptive transition to highest productivity and lowest total cost of ownership (TCO).
- More chromatographic resolution – specially designed components in the sample flow path achieve lowest system dispersion.
- Higher peak capacity for challenging separations – switch easily between single dimension UHPLC and the ultimate chromatographic power of 2D-LC.
- Lower carryover for uncompromised data quality – multiwash capabilities of the 1290 Infinity II Multisampler reduce carryover to less than 10 ppm even for challenging compounds such as chlorohexidine.
- Unique detection capabilities – combine lowest detection limits with an ultrawide dynamic range by using the new 1290 Infinity II HDR-DAD or 1290 Infinity II ELSD.
- Faster injection cycles with dual-needle injection – for higher sample throughput.
- Higher sample capacity per bench space – up to 6144 samples within the footprint of a standard Agilent stack.
- Flexibility for all applications – through wide power, temperature, and automatically scalable injection range, and gradient options.
- Seamless transfer of methods between LCs, regardless of the brand – facilitated by Intelligent System Emulation Technology (ISET) delivering unchanged retention time and peak resolution.
- Seamless integration in your chromatography data system – Agilent InfinityLab LC instrumentation runs smoother when controlled through third-party chromatography data systems such as Waters Empower or Thermo Scientific’s Chromeleon using the Agilent Instrument Control Framework (ICF).
- Lower total cost of ownership – select from a variety of tools to achieve lowest cost-per-sample.
AVANT HPLC/UHPLC Systems
Advion’s range of Avant, high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) systems can be used standalone with UV and UV/Vis detector options, or with the expression compact mass spectrometer to provide seamlessly integrated LC/CMS under the full control of Advion’s simple, intuitive Mass Express software suite.
Modular, stackable design, with many options, provides custom solutions for both HPLC and UHPLC needs. From the simplest manual injection HPLC to a fully automated, streamlined UHPLC system and everything in-between, the Avant series can be configured to fit your analytical requirements and your budget.
The Avant (U)HPLC series is the latest in Advion’s innovative line of sample inlet devices for the expression CMS which include:
- Plate Express for automated mass assays from TLC plates.
- The ASAP direct analysis probe for solid, liquid and even air sensitive, samples.
- vAPCI for analysis of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from head spaces, breath, and other gas samples.
- Flow chemistry interfaces.
All these techniques can be simply, simultaneously, interfaced with the CMS so that the chemist can move quickly and effortlessly between workflows.
Get stable retention times and maximum information capture from high-throughput, routine applications with the Thermo Scientific™ UltiMate™ 3000 Standard Binary System. The fast gradient response, excellent flow stability, and a broad choice of high-data-rate detection technologies ensure reliable results from every sample, making the UltiMate 3000 Standard Binary System an ideal choice for demanding routine environments or high-throughput research and development laboratories.
Detect low levels of neurotransmitters with confidence using the Thermo Scientific™ Dionex™ UltiMate™ 3000 Life Science Electrochemical System. This optimized tool offers extremely high sensitivity and throughput in isocratic separations for the characterization of complex biological samples, especially where sample quantities are limited. The ECD-3000RS electrochemical detection module features a selection of coulometric and amperometric sensors and SmartChip technology, making operation and method setup easy and worry-free.
Mobile phase flexibility defines the Thermo Scientific™ UltiMate™ 3000 Standard Quaternary system. With adjustable gradient delay volume, four-solvent gradient support, excellent flow stability and an unique choice of detection technologies, the Standard Quaternary system excels where moderately fast gradient response is acceptable to gain the advantages of improved flexibility e.g., multiple solvents, extended column washes, ternary or quaternary gradients and method development scenarios in high-throughput routine environments as well as in demanding research and development laboratories.
More information can be found here.
Meet the HPLC system you can count on day after day. For routine analyses, it simply streamlines your processes with easy, trouble-free operation while delivering reliable results every time.
The need for high performance and reliability are a given for labs that run samples on liquid chromatography instruments. In addition, there are increased efficiency and testing demands across all types of labs that run routine analyses. That makes our proven, rugged and reliable Flexar HPLC system the perfect choice when you need fast cycle times, reproducibility and low carryover. With its elegant streamlined interface, our Flexar LC is easy to use and simplifies your day-to-day processes so you can focus on your applications. Flexar LC provides two chromatography data system (CDS) options, the powerfully easy-to use Chromera® CDS software or TotalChrom® for either single workstation or enterprise-wide control and regulatory compliance.
More information can be found here.
Analytical to Semi-Preparative HPLC System
Gilson's Analytical to Semi-preparative HPLC Systems are your complete solution for automated HPLC purification and analysis of synthesized compounds. The versatile system performs sample injection, fraction collection and re-injection of collected fractions.
- Small to medium injection and fraction capacity.
- Graphical sample tracking allows for easy matching of samples, chromatograms and fractions.
- Simultaneously displays a chromatogram, a list of sample descriptions and images of the sample as well as collected fraction tubes through TRILUTION® LC graphical sample tracking.
- Easily automated linear scale-up from analytical to preparative HPLC methods.
- A single instrument for sample injection, fraction collection and re-injection—no need to transfer tubes or racks to another system.
- Separate injection and fraction collection pathways eliminate contamination of fractions from sample injection.
- Easily customized reports include required calculations using all mathematical functions
Preparative HPLC System
The systems's wide flow rate range (from the 333 and 334 Pumps) allows for both semi-preparative and preparative separations. High pumping power accommodates a wide range of preparative column sizes. All injection modules feature a continuous flow path design. The system can accommodate large injection volumes with minimal sample waste and carryover. The new rinse station system incorporates a flowing jet wash and allows the use of up to two different rinse solvents.
- Low dwell volume allows fast, reproducible gradients.
- Off bed collection racks allow for true large-scale fraction collection into vessels of your choice without sacrificing bed space.
- Incorporate Gilson's System Organizers for stacking to conserve bench space.
- Injection of up to 15 g per run depending on column dimensions.
- The 30X Pump Series configured as injection pumps can inject volumes up to several liters to maximize sample loading on preparative HPLC columns.
- Separate injection and collection pathways that eliminate contamination of fractions from the injection process.
- The solvent valve allows for immediate access of up to five off bed solvent reservoirs.
- The GX Direct Injection Module features an innovative injection port design that attaches directly to the injection valve reducing void volumes and minimizing carryover associated with calibrated connection tubing.
- The GX Direct Injection Module offers various sample loop sizes providing the largest sample volume range on the market today.
More information can be found here.
An HPLC system for today and tomorrow.
Outstanding Performance - Two performance capabilities supporting data reliability: the excellent reproducibility made possible by the pump and autosampler and the excellent stability of the column oven and detector.
Easy-to-use - Beyond the simplicity of operation and ease of use, a critical requirement for HPLC is ease of maintenance.
Robustness - The Hitachi reputation for instrument robustness and reliability continues with the Chromaster, which is made using stronger materials and is manufactured with Hitachi's strict quality control standards.
More information can be found here.
An affordable and robust HPLC system engineered for seamless integration and reliable analyses. The Hitachi HPLC Primaide is designed for long-term, stable operation, and features both high reliability and great durability. It offers tremendous capability for everyday analysis.
The best choice for personal use - Even in small to mid-scale facilities, individual operators see increasing opportunities to use multiple HPLC systems. Thanks to its simple design and front-access layout, maintenance of the Primaide is easy. Even a beginner at LC analysis can confidently operate the Primaide.
Excellent basic performance - The demand for HPLC systems with higher precision, better reproducibility, and improved stability is increasing daily. The Primaide is built according to strict specifications to meet stringent requirements. In addition, labs can apply the Primaide to an even wider range of applications by employing optional units, such as a sophisticated DAD (Diode Array Detector) and an autosampler cooler.
Reliable durability - Hitachi HPLC systems have earned a reputation as highly durable machines, and Primaide is no exception. Our strict production quality standards ensure both high performance and endurance. This standard extends to all equipment from systems to accessories.
More information can be found here.